Monday, December 3, 2012

The very hungry caterpillar

Look who I found in the garden today!



So there I was, walking down the path, when I spotted this little guy from a distance, hiding under a leaf on the persimmon. What a little cutie! It was pretty hard to miss from the side with not one, not two, not three but four Mohawks. But as you see, it's not so easy to spot from above. It's a great hairstyle but things are gonna change when it grows up and turns into an rather plain little brown vapourer moth (see below). From flamboyant teenage punk to understated adult in one quick chrysalis change.

Call me nerdy but I do love finding cool creatures down in the garden, sometimes even hungry little caterpillars. Not that it appeared to be all that hungry, or little. A mysteriously small appetite for one so large. Maybe it'd been through a slice of watermelon, a birthday cake and a lollypop before it made it to our persimmon tree. Given its rockin' coiffure I'm sure we can afford to spare a leaf or two.


Look closely and you can see it's little hairs poking out.
  





  

 


No comments:

Post a Comment